- 1 How do you keep stitches dry when swimming?
- 2 How can I prevent my stitches from getting wet?
- 3 Can you go swimming with stitches?
- 4 When is it safe to swim after stitches?
- 5 How soon after gallbladder surgery can I go swimming?
- 6 Are waterproof bandages effective?
- 7 Can you swim 2 weeks after gallbladder surgery?
How do you keep stitches dry when swimming?
“If absolutely necessary, a waterproof adhesive bandage should be used, and the minimum amount of time in the water as is possible for that person.” Once out of the pool, or tub, she recommends drying the area as much as possible by patting it with a towel or letting it air dry.
How can I prevent my stitches from getting wet?
Keeping stitches dry
- cover your stitches when you have a shower, with a waterproof dressing – you may be able to use a rubber glove or plastic bag if they will cover your wound.
- have a wash standing in a bath tub, using a cloth to clean yourself and avoiding your stitches.
Can you go swimming with stitches?
Generally, after your stitches have been removed or have dissolved and your wound has fully healed, you should be able to swim in the sea or a swimming pool. Once a wound has healed, the risk of infection decreases.
When is it safe to swim after stitches?
Generally, it is okay to swim once the stitches come out or dissolve, which can be one to two weeks after the procedure. Any post-operation soreness should also be taken into consideration.
How soon after gallbladder surgery can I go swimming?
After you shower, pat the wounds dry with a clean towel. Do not rub the wounds. Do not take tub baths or swim for 4 weeks.
Are waterproof bandages effective?
Water and other liquids can carry germs to cuts and scrapes, which can lead to infection. A waterproof bandage could block those bugs, but despite product claims such as “shields out water, dirt and germs,” it’s hard to find one.
Can you swim 2 weeks after gallbladder surgery?
When can I shower, bathe or swim? It is okay to take a shower any time after the surgery. If your dressing gets wet, it is okay to remove it (but leave the steri-strips or Dermabond in place) and replace with a new, clean dressing. Avoid soaking in the bathtub or swimming in pools or the ocean for two weeks.