Are mandoline slicers worth it?
Mandoline slicers are useful for getting perfectly even cuts, especially when you’re trying to make them extra thin. Sure, a sharp knife will do the trick, but mandolines guarantee perfection and uniformity. They can be used for everything from potatoes for scalloped potato dishes to eggplant for parmesan or grilling.
What is the best professional mandoline slicer?
The Top 10 Best Professional Mandoline Slicers
- Gramercy Kitchen Co.
- OXO 3105300 Steel Chef’s Mandoline Slicer, Silver.
- Microplane Mandoline Slicer.
- Progressive International PL8-1000 PL8 Mandoline Slicer, White.
- Swissmar Borner V Power Mandoline, V-7000.
- Vegetable Slicer Green.
Do professional chefs use mandolins?
Most chefs can dazzle home cooks with their knife skills, but even they cannot perform such precision on yams and apples. Their secret, the tool that no chef would live without, is the mandoline. That’s at least partly because of their unwavering devotion to another professional tool: the food processor.
What is the best mandoline slicer to buy UK?
(August 2021 Review)
- Syolee Mandoline Vegetable Slicer – 9 in 1.
- Chef’s INSPIRATIONS Premium V-Blade Mandoline Slicer.
- OXO Good Grips Chef’s Mandoline 2.0.
- Bron Coucke Mandoline, Stainless Steel, Silver – Best High End Slicer.
- Once for All’s Safest Mandoline Slicer with 4 Cutting Modes.
What can I use instead of a mandoline slicer?
Mandoline. A mandoline will give you precision when slicing fruits and vegetables—but it’s expensive and can be dangerous if you don’t know how to handle it properly. Instead, use a vegetable peeler.
How dangerous is a mandoline?
In reality, they are no more dangerous than a chef knife. Both cutting with a chef knife and a mandolin require concentration with deliberate motions to avoid injuring yourself. Most mandolines come with lots of attachments and safety guards, which are usually intimidating and cumbersome.
What mandoline slicer do chefs use?
The no-frills Benriner stainless steel mandoline ($35), is a known chef favorite, which we were excited to put to the test. It’s uncomplicated and super sharp out of the box, with a straight blade that executes perfect, even slices every time, at every width.
Can you use a mandoline to slice meat?
The mandoline is designed to slice the meat. The mandoline is a very good way to cut your food. However, it is not strong enough to slice through the layer of fat on your food, which a lot of meat has. You need to make sure that the food is clean and free of all fat before you start using a mandoline with it.
What is the best vegetable slicer to buy?
Best Mandoline Slicers at a Glance
- Best Overall: Swissmar Borner V-1001 V-Slicer Plus Mandoline 5-Piece Set.
- Runner-up: OXO Good Grips V-Blade Mandoline Slicer.
- Best Budget: Prepworks by Progressive International Adjust-A-Slice and Julienne Mandoline.
- Best for Beginners: Kyocera Soft Grip Mandoline.
What is the best vegetable peeler?
Here are the best vegetable peelers:
- Best overall: Kuhn Rikon 2784 3-Set Swiss Peeler.
- Best swivel peeler: OXO Good Grips Pro Swivel Peeler.
- Best electric peeler: Starfrit 93209 Rotato Express Electric Peeler.
- Best for julienne: Precision Kitchenware Julienne & Vegetable Peeler.
Can you slice meat on a mandoline?
Why is mandoline dangerous?
The biggest danger in using a mandoline is not using the hand guard. You should always use the hand guard! The hard part about this is that the hand guard needs a bit of the vegetable to cling to, so you’re often left with a chunk of it in the end.
What can a mandoline slicer do?
A mandoline—with an e at the end—is a kitchen tool no one should be without. The key benefits to using a mandoline are speed and uniformity in slicing, shredding and sometimes grating. Traditionally used to cut prep time to a minimum when making gratins, slaws and french fries, mandolines are tremendously versatile.
What mandoline do chefs use?
Which is the best onion chopper?
This Handy Kitchen Gadget Is The Secret To Perfectly Chopped Onions With No Tears
- The Overall Best: Mueller Austria Onion Chopper. Mueller Austria Onion Chopper.
- The Best String Chopper: Brieftons QuickPull Food Chopper. Brieftons QuickPull Food Chopper.
- The Best Electric: Black + Decker 3-Cup Electric Food Chopper.
Which type of peeler is best?
How do I choose a vegetable peeler?
Blades should swivel to follow the contour of the vegetable. Lefty users should be sure the blades are sharp on both sides. Serrated-edge peelers work better on soft fruits or vegetables like tomatoes, while straight-edge peelers are good for a wide range of vegetables with both thin and thick skins.
Can you slice raw meat with a meat slicer?
Raw Meat Slicer So while your meat slicer can be used for slicing raw meat, however you need to make sure no cross contamination occurs with cooked foods in the area. In addition, you want to make sure the raw meat is still firm, not a floppy mess as that makes it more difficult to slice nice and even slices.
Is a mandoline slicer dangerous?